What is hip groin pain? The groin is the area between the stomach and the thighs and a pain here is called hip groin pain. Hip groin pain is generally the pain in the joints of hip towards the outside of hip. There are 5 types of muscles in this area which help in movement of the leg and any type of strain to any of these muscles results in discomfort and causes pain. This is a general symptom and happens to many. Hip joint pain can also cause problem in many other related areas like knee, thighs and even buttocks. Visit https://nydnrehab.com/what-we-treat/hip-pain/hip-groin-pain/ for more information.
Symptoms of hip joint pain:
A discomfort located in:
- outside the hip,
- hip joints
- pain radiating from back or the groin to the hip
- pain radiating to the thighs and knees
It is said”Prevention is better than cure”. To avoid groin pain, be careful about while doing any physical activity especially while lifting heavy weights as that may cause hernia. Always maintain healthy weight. Take rest for 2-3 weeks from your physical activities and this should solve the problem.
For those who do workouts and athletes, a little and steady warm up before exercise will help. Visit https://nydnrehab.com/what-we-treat/hip-pain/hip-groin-pain/ for more information.
Diagnosing Groin pain:
Even after these precautions, if one still suffers severe and persistent groin pain, contact your doctor. He would then examine you for the causes of the pain based on your symptoms. The doctor will start by interrogating about the place of pain, how /when it started and your medical history. He would then do a physical examination. He might also conduct a few tests.
- X-rays will be help full to know any bone fractures.
- Ultrasounds can be used to check the inflammations and cysts etc in the abdomen.
- MRIs will be used to check the injuries of soft tissues in the groin.
- A complete blood picture might also be done to check if any infection might be causing groin pain.
- Hernia test to check the condition of hernia.
- If none of these help, sometimes, anesthetic injections will be used along with x-rays and MRIs where anesthesia will be injected into the suspected spot and a temporary relief from pain will mean that, this is the cause of the pain.
The treatment will start based on the results of these tests.
- If the pain is due to stress, injury and hip labral tea, rest from any kind of physical activity and movement will be the first step for treatment. Avoid applying heat, having hot baths and massages as that may increase swelling. This will be followed by physiotherapy to get relief from groin pain. Your physiotherapist may recommend some exercises to build your core strength and your muscles.
- Hip replacement will be suggested for patients suffering from hip arthritis, hip fractures and hip malformations.
- Drugs will be suggested for Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis.